Residential Cottages

CV’s residential school offers real hope of reversing the odds for the most at-risk adolescent boys in our community. Some of these youth are in foster care, some were displaying significant behavioral problems in school and their Committee for Special Education has recommended residential treatment,  others have committed a minor crime and CV is their last chance before entering the juvenile justice system. All are on a negative path that neither they nor their parents have been able to change without help.

Located on a beautiful 180-acre campus, this short-term program provides structure, specialized education and support, therapeutic recreation, and work skills training.  Programs are designed to help youth develop the skills  and attitudes necessary to  be successful–as individuals, as parents, as community members, and as employees.

When youth are ready to leave us, we provide a minimum of a year’s support to youth and their families.

 Admission Criteria

The program accepts boys, aged 5 to 16 years, 11 months. We are not able to care for boys who are autistic, have committed a serious crime, were convicted of drug dealing, have a severe substance abuse problem, suffer from schizophrenia, or have a physical condition that severely limits activity.

 How to place youth in the Residential School

We cannot accept youth directly. Youth must be referred through Family Court, a Committee for Special Education, or a Department of Social Services. If you feel your son is in need of residential care, the following are your options:

Parents can occasionally VOLUNTARILY place a child in the care and custody of New York City’s Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) or your local Department of Social Services (DSS). ACS or DSS then has the responsibility of finding suitable placement. Parents may not have much choice in where the child is placed and, therefore, should take care in considering advocating for this option.

Parents can appeal to Family Court for help with their troubled youngster via a Person In Need of Supervision (PINS) petition. PINS cases usually go through a diversion process first, meaning that community services are provided to the family to see if that will be sufficient for a child to change his behaviors. If a child does not succeed with additional community supports, the family court may send him for residential treatment. Again, parents may not have much choice in where the child is placed.

Local Committees for Special Education (CSE) are another option. If a child’s behavior is affecting his ability to progress educationally, the school’s Committee for Special Education can determine that he needs residential placement and make it part of his Individual Education Plan (IEP).  The school system has the responsibility to educate children, even those children who are refusing to go to school.The parent or other concerned individual can request that the child be evaluated for residential placement (the parent must consent to the evaluation). Documentation of when the CSE received this request is critical, as there are legal time lines that the CSE has to follow once it receives such a request. Parents have more choice in where a child is placed if he is placed through the CSE.


 Contact the Admissions Department for the Residential School

Admissions Coordinator (914) 693-0600 extension 1203

Admissions Caseworker (914) 693-0600 extension 1642

Fax: (914) 674-1259



The Children’s Village

Admissions Department

1 Echo Hill

Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522

Change a child's life.