The Children’s Village takes pride in our advocacy efforts for children and families. Staff at all levels are involved in letter-writing campaigns, social media efforts, testifying before New York City Council, serving on Boards, and more. We are active in issues involving LGBTQ youth, homeless teens, teens who are sexually exploited or trafficked, foster children, and families.
A Leader in the Field
President and CEO Jeremy Kohomban is a vocal advocate for change in both the child welfare and juvenile justice systems. He serves in leadership roles with several advocacy groups:
- As Chairman of NYC’s Human Services Council, he has led advocacy efforts in support of nonprofits and the need for government to adequately reimburse for work performed on their behalf.
- He is a Council Appointee on the Administration for Children’s Service’s Foster Care Interagency Task Force.
- A lead partner for the Children Need Amazing Parents (CHAMPS) campaign, Jeremy serves as co-chair for the campaign’s coalition.
In addition, Dr. Kohomban’s articles on the disproportionality of Black and Brown children in poverty and low-performing schools appear in the Huffington Post and other news outlets. See below for a sampling of his published articles.
- Bravehearts Demonstrates That Foster Kids Must Be Listened to
- An easy way for Mayor de Blasio to keep his promise
- Zymere Perkins’ case highlights harsh truths about child welfare in New York City
- A Better, But Still Broken, NYC Child Welfare System Means Another Child Murdered
- House Puts Families First, Opponents Rally – But Why?
- Towards Equity: Bi-partisan Federal Legislation Tackles Racial Disproportionality and Puts Families First
- Feds Finally Putting Families First
- Charity Leaders Need to Oust the Scoundrels
- No Place to Grow Up: How to Safely Reduce Reliance on Foster Care Group Homes (Testimony before U.S. Senate)
- Nonprofit Management Tools: Choose, Fund, and Implement for Impact (PDF)
- Survival Is Not Enough: Help Children Thrive, Not Just Survive
See our In the News page for a full listing of articles.