Admissions FAQ for Parents

Every effort is and should be made to keep children home and avoid residential placement. But there are some children and teens who can and do benefit from a period of out-of-home placement. When you are unable to mange your child’s behavior safely or to meet his educational and other needs, there are three ways that boys can be placed in Children’s Village’s residential treatment center.

  1. Through New York City’s Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), if you live in one of the five boroughs of New York City; or Department of Social Services (DSS), if you live in Westchester or a surrounding county. Parents can occasionally VOLUNTARILY place a child in the care and custody of ACS or DSS. ACS or DSS then has the responsibility of finding suitable placement. Parents may not have much choice in where the child is placed and, therefore, should take a lot of care to consider advocating for this option.

  3. Family Court via Person In Need of Supervision (PINS) petition OR if your teen has committed some violation and residential treatment is needed to help him change his behaviors. PINS cases usually go through a diversion process first, meaning that community services are provided to see if that will be sufficient for a child to change his behaviors. Depending upon the violation, the court may recommend Probation services first. Again the first goal is to keep the child in the community with additional supports. If a teen does not succeed with additional community supports, the family court may send him for residential treatment. Again, parents may not have much choice in where the child is placed.

  5. Committee for Special Education (CSE). If your child’s behavior is affecting his ability to progress educationally, your school’s Committee for Special Education can determine that he needs residential placement and make it part of his Individual Education Plan (IEP). The school system has the responsibility to educate children, even those children who are refusing to go to school. You or other concerned individual can request that the student be evaluated for residential placement (you must consent to the evaluation). Getting documentation of when the CSE received this request is critical, as there are legal time lines that the CSE has to follow once it receives such a request. Parents have more choice in where a child is placed, if he is placed through the CSE.


Below are some frequently asked questions:

Q: My child’s behavior is making it difficult to continue to live in my home. How do I get my son into The Children’s Village?

A: You can voluntarily place your son in foster care, go to Family Court and request a PINS petition, or contact your school’s Committee for Special Education.  See above.

Q: My child is in special education and his educational needs are not being met in his current school setting. How do I get him transferred to The Children’s Village?

A: As the parent or legal guardian you must request in writing to have your child’s Committee on Special Education (CSE) convene so that the committee can ascertain if day placement at our school (Greenburgh Eleven UFSD) or residential treatment would be an appropriate accommodation to meet your child’s educational needs. We suggest that you bring supporting material from your child’s therapist, teachers, or mental health providers to your CSE meeting.

Q: My child is a day student at Greenburgh Eleven UFSD. How can he become a residential student at The Children’s Village?

A: It is your right as the parent or guardian to contact your child’s home Committee on Special Education (CSE) and request that the committee meet to review your child’s educational needs and, if appropriate, change your child’s educational plan to reflect the need for a residential treatment.

Q: My child was previously attending a residential school out of state. I have been informed that my son’s school has lost funding. How can I find out if your school fits my child’s educational needs?

A: Visit our Dobbs Ferry campus page on this website, which includes a picture tour of the campus. If you are interested in exploring this option, please call the Admissions office and schedule a tour.

Admissions: 914-693-0600 x 1203

Change a child's life.